Thursday, August 27, 2009

Michael Moore? Or Fred Savage?

Post Dated: May 30th, 2009

or

After watching Canadian Bacon last night, I realized that maybe Michael Moore had a point... I mean, Bowling For Columbine is a great documentary, and I’m still very interested in seeing Sicko. But the guy is definitely right about something.
If my Dad read this he’d probably lower his brow and shake his head... but it’s true. We have a serious issue with violence in this country and no one’s really taking the time to listen when they should. If the world is really an angry machine standing only for profit and reward (even if it‘s unjustly received), then we as a people need to fix it. We need to stand up and say why am I letting this happen.
My point is well exemplified in our voting process. Every four years we look at the ballot of candidates and half the time (more than half the time) we say, I wish I could vote for one of these other guys... but they’ll never win. And just like that, the machine is victorious again. 
So I may be happy with this last election, and yes, I’m still happy... but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to fix the problem. The opinions of absolute Democrats and absolute Republicans alike are morally flawed. They flip flop on issues that hardly make any sense. Some people like Libertarianism, but that is not necessarily a full possibility... I mean, absolute freedom? What’s that?
But Objectivism is possible and morally sound. If you don’t know what that big word means, look it up... read Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged... too big? Grab a copy of The Virtue Of Selfishness and see if that doesn’t make sense of everything in a very few pages.
Now, I’m digressing, but it’s for a good reason. See, Michael Moore may only be Fred Savage in a very clever disguise, but he still makes me at least consider the fact that the way the world is run is not right. He’s trying to force us to ask questions. And that’s exactly what we as individuals need to do. Ask the question, stand up, and do something about it. Clap if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment