Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm In Love With Audrey Hepburn


As I sit here watching Charade (which is awesome by the way) I feel a need to discuss my love for Audrey Hepburn. It’s not often that dead people catch my attention so completely...  she could be the perfect woman. She can play nerdy and sexy without ever seeming ugly and hoarse. She can dance crazy and break your heart. She breaks mine in every movie. So let’s list the ones I’ve seen and what she does to drive me crazy:
Roman Holiday: This flick is badass. And Audrey makes me smile all the way through... the awkward motorbike and the hand-eating statue and Gregory Peck... what else do you need? I still sort of wish this was in color, but it was worth it to get the real experience of Rome.
Sabrina: Oh my god! This is one of those things I can’t believe actually happened. Audrey is the nerdy Sabrina and she is in love with William Holden (lucky). But then there’s Humphrey Bogart... and he makes things interesting. Did you ever think you’d get to see Audrey and Bogey in a flick together (old news but still great). The remake can’t compare because there’s no match for these two...
Funny Face: I’ve talked about this flick before on here... but it’s one of my all time favorites, and Audrey in that black one-piece dancing all awesome-like!! I try to pretend she’s doing it all for me... not the late great Fred Astaire. P.S. - I’m glad they had that great ad campaign that accidentally re-awoke interest in this flick.
The Children’s Hour: Not so much a movie for me, but Audrey is still quite love-able.
Charade: The guy just said, “Here we are on the street where you live.” It was fate. This movie’s cool and Audrey does some very good work here. Not the kind of flick I’m used to seeing her in, but very cool. Very cool indeed.
My Fair Lady: This is one of the greatest musical films ever made. Why would you want to remake it? Hm? What would be the point? But I digress. See here Audrey makes a glorious transformation, far more extreme than in Sabrina. And by the end, she is a lady. And a beautiful one at that.
So in review, Audrey Hepburn stole my heart before I was even born. And though she died before I hit Elementary School, she will always hold a special place in my heart. The only problem is, I have trouble loving other women because I’m always holding them to her standards. Oh well.
P.S. - I still need to see Breakfast At Tiffany’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment