Friday, December 5, 2014

St. Vincent Ain't All Bad

I was not excited to go see St. Vincent. Don't get me wrong, I love Bill Murray. But the trailer absolutely killed all interest I may have had in the film. Regardless, I went to see it yesterday.
If you don't already know, St. Vincent is about a mom and her young son moving into a new neighborhood only to discover their next door neighbor is a dirty, raucous, mean, old man named Vincent (Bill Murray). But through a series of ridiculous situations, Vincent and the boy form a bond... It's one of those cheesy "perhaps there's more to this old guy than meets the eye" kind of flicks. It's corny, formulaic, and pretty sappy. But if you like that kind of thing, it isn't the worst I've seen from that degraded, musty, old genre.
Bill Murray gives a solid performance, which is probably the only reason anyone's still talking about this movie. But Oliver, the kid, played by Jaeden Lieberher, is actually pretty great. I wouldn't give a child actor more credit than he/she's due, believe me. But this kid actually sells it. He really knocks one out of the park. I like Melissa McCarthy here, but she surprisingly has next to nothing to do. And Naomi Watts turns in a good enough performance in a role I really don't know why she was cast in... Chris O'Dowd also does a good job here. Though his career of late has been an absolute enigma to me.
Anyway, St. Vincent is exactly what's advertised, nothing more. This all-star comedy cast is not here to make you laugh. They want you to get all sentimental and shit. If that's your cup of tea, then by all means, go ahead and drink it. But I won't be putting these guys on any awards lists. Not right now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment