Sunday, October 24, 2010

Following Up

I don't mean to be nit-picky or unfair to any films. And I realize I've said more negative things about Hollywood this year than positive, but it's bad guys. And I'm so very frightened for this awards season. I can count on one hand the movies I actually think are worthy of any Oscars, and that just should not happen. I don't really know what the problem is. Five years ago we had one of the richest seasons I've ever seen.
This year just doesn't even remotely compare.
Something's gotta change with the way Hollywood does business in general. Something is wrong and I'm too tired right now to think of any answers. And maybe my answers would be too extreme, but creativity is being ignored... writers are thrown big sums of money to go and rewrite and castrate their own work. It's a very select few that actually seem to be able to break through. And perhaps I'm speaking prematurely... Black Swan looks great, True Grit looks quality... but again this is just the highest platform of writers... Aaron Sorkin, Christopher Nolan, The Coen Brothers... It's amazing that Chris Sparling got away with Buried... but it'll be overlooked anyway.

And that's where my head is. I need good movies. I need sleep. Somebody, help!

1 comment:

  1. Mother, Easy A, The Runaways, Winter's Bone, Toy Story 3, The Kids Are All Right. And just wait for Blue Valentine in December. Amazing stuff. Remember, too, they like to keep stuff until the end of the year. King's Speech looks incredible, Black Swan, True Grit, Made in Dagenham, Rabbit Hole...don't give up hope yet!

    ReplyDelete