Monday, September 15, 2014

Unfortunately, Catching Up With Pompeii

Believe me, I would not have watched this movie if it wasn't one of the few options I had on a thirteen hour flight.
And sitting there, trying to keep my focus on the movie still managed to be tough because... well... it was really truly awful. Legit. Pompeii is a molten (pun absolutely intended) pile of steaming shit. Paul W.S. Anderson is still making movies somehow. And they are not ever going to get better. I think he's made that clear at this point.
The awkward thing is, this director (the guy responsible for Alien v Predator) still manages to get some interesting B and C list actors to join his projects. I love Game of Thrones, so of course I wanna see Kit Harrington succeed. But he certainly didn't do anything to warrant my affections here. Similarly, Emily Browning just didn't have any presence in this flick. I like the energy she's brought to other films, though I'm starting to wonder if I haven't been brainwashed by how much I enjoyed her in A Series of Unfortunate Events. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is another one of those guys I want to like, but every step of the way he seems to throw a wrench in it. Like when he quit Lost to go write, direct, and star in his own life story. How'd that work out for you dude? And then there's Kiefer Sutherland. Why did he do this movie? He certainly doesn't need the money. Yet he seemed rather content to put up one of the most abysmal performances of his entire career... for what?
Ugh. In my estimation, all of these actors are better than this. But that's just the power of a bad filmmaker. Paul W.S. Anderson needs to stop making movies. And I'd advise everyone to just not even go to the theatre when these things come out. It's not worth your money just because you may be a little curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment