Friday, October 4, 2013

Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity

I just saw Gravity... Wow!
This could have easily been a let down after so many years (seven as I count back to Children of Men). And I'm having trouble comprehending that it's been so long since that fantastic film. But Gravity is not a disappointment. Not even remotely. This flick is a triumph. If ever you hoped to be taken on a roller coaster without the dangers of some teenager forgetting to properly buckle your seatbelt... well, you may actually still need a seatbelt for this.

Gravity combines so many great elements from various media into an epic piece that can only exist in film. I loved the feeling of first-person pressures, like I was in a video game trying at every turn to help Sandra Bullock when every bit of the universe seemed out to get her. I loved the music... and the silence. I loved two very brilliant performances. I once had doubts about Sandra Bullock's ability to carry a movie... not anymore. At least not with a director as talented as Cuarón.
Let's face it... the man's made seven movies since 1991. The man's made seven EXCELLENT movies. Yet after arguably his greatest feat in Children of Men (a modern masterpiece by my reckoning), he stopped. Flat. For more than half a decade I felt an emptiness in the film world because he wasn't there making a follow up. But that's just it. He wasn't making a follow up. You can't call something as epic as Gravity just "a follow up". He wanted to get it right. His passion is apparent in everything he touches. And he doesn't make movies just take movies. He makes THE movie. Each time.

Sólo con tu Pareja, A Little Princess, Great Expectations, Y Tu Mamá También, The Prisoner of Azkaban (arguably the best stand alone film in the Harry Potter series), Children of Men, and now Gravity.

That's a hell of a list.

After tonight, I'm so glad to know he's back. And I'm already chomping at the bit to see what he's got in store for us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment