Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Here Come The DGA Nominees

Here's likely the shortest list of nominees for an awards event you'll ever see...

DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2014:

Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Clint Eastwood - American Sniper

Alejandro G. Iñárritu - Birdman

Richard Linklater - Boyhood

Morton Tyldum - The Imitation Game

And to be honest, I'd be pretty okay with any of these guys winning. That's saying a lot and it usually doesn't happen. For one year to so consistently manage to nominate actual worthy competition is a surprise to say the least. Usually something or someone underwhelming sneaks in at the last minute... and even without the Academy nominations, I can still say this awards season has been pretty respectable in almost every category.

Now that being said, I've picked my best director the same regardless of competition in every other awards show so far, and that isn't about to change here. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, in my opinion, did the best job coordinating an entire production... and god help me, he made it feel original. Something that has proven a difficult task for many a director of late. For his creativity and ingenuity, I've gotta keep the trend going and pick the Birdman director once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment