Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thor: The Dark World

While I was in Florida I got a chance to see Thor: The Dark World.
And while the dramatic side of it didn't really resinate, the comedy was closer than any other film I've seen to what would actually appear in a comic book. This is really quite a cool revelation in the grand scheme of things. Marvel is managing to give Thor's movies a different color than the others, a fact that bodes very well for the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Anyway, the cast was quite solid in this movie... and I am ever increasingly surprised at the number of recurring characters that exist in Thor's stories. That being said, I found the general concept of the villain to be somewhat lacking...
rather, let me put it this way, at no point did I find Malekith even remotely threatening. I suppose his existence played second fiddle to everything else that will continue to blossom in the franchise's future. And that character could never hope to contend with Tom Hiddleston's Loki.
Now there weren't many emotional moments that surprised me. But there were plenty of things that I would never have expected to see appear on screen. Particularly an excellent cameo in a walk-and-talk scene between Thor and Loki. That little moment, and well... Thor's Hammer!! When you see the movie you'll know what I'm talking about. Just one of the quirkiest action sequences I've ever seen.

I really liked Thor: The Dark World. And I'm so glad Marvel is continuing to push the boundaries of their massive universe. No wonder Hollywood's been making so many super hero movies... there's just so much existing material to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment