Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Monsters University... A Prequel?

SPOILER ALERT!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN MONSTERS, INC. DO NOT READ THIS!!!
I for one am a huge fan of Monsters, Inc. I have always wondered where the story was heading once Sully finally got that last splinter and revived Boo's door. It's clearly years later and the possibility of Boo being older and remembering Sully from this crazy adventure she never told anyone about is too interesting for me to just let go.
Okay, so the real situation: The Monsters, Inc. sequel is now a Monsters, Inc. prequel... Monsters University. Now this is coming out of the mouth of a true Pixar believer, but until I see Cars 2 and truly believe it's good... news like a prequel rather than a sequel is only freaking me out!

I'm excited for Brave. It looks like it could be cool, but that's just from preliminary sketches. And up to this point I have enjoyed every Pixar film (less so for A Bug's Life which may be the weakest script in review), but nothing would hurt me more than to be let down by the studio because they weren't brave enough to challenge themselves with a new Monsters film where kids are aware of these things that live in their closets and like to make them laugh at night. How well do the kids take to the experience? Could children, just as with fear, become harder to tickle (metaphorically, not literally) over time?

I guess what I'm really afraid of is Pixar trapping themselves with a story that we have already imagined just from the original. I love Mike and Sully. I love Boo... and I think Randall is a great villain. Slimy but not too intimidating. A brain who requires someone with real power in order to be truly affecting. It's those tiny truisms of the universe of Monstropolis that get me so attached... but we've already seen what it was at its most intense and I for one would like to see what happens next.

I still love you Pixar. But I'm not so naive. I can admit I'm scared. Sometimes with success comes arrogance. And sometimes once great directors/producers decide that they can get away with anything. It happened to Spielberg once upon a time (1941). He turned it around right quick, but I guess I'm saying I don't want to go through three years of disappointment with what Pixar has offered me. Cause that's a looong time. If Cars 2 is bad... Brave is meh (which it won't be)... and then Monsters University is disappointing... I would weep. Weep.

Still... that's a lot of ifs. So here's to hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment