Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tale As Old As...

So I finally got a chance to sit down and enjoy my Blu-ray copy of Beauty and the Beast. It was so nice to see it presented this way. So odd to see how the new technologies (at the time) they had employed in the film come across in HD. It's very weird. White outlines over the black outlines of characters basically animated gobos over a none moving background. Though the "camera work" pulls in constantly like no animated film I've ever seen... how do they do that anyway? Yes, it's been a long time since I last watched the flick. The writing was far more impressive than I remember. They were brave enough to make characters like Maurice (Belle's Father) into little more than a plot device.

*And I'll take a stand on this right now. Plot is most important. I'm personally bored out of my mind if a film lacks plot and just tries to move forward with characters who have no reason to be doing the things they are doing. There must be drive, and that is the plot. I've heard so many times that Plot is the boring part of the script you have to deal with as quickly as possible so you can get to the interesting stuff. I supremely disagree. Plot IS the interesting stuff.*

Anyway, this HD presentation of Beauty and the Beast is very cool to watch if you can get around to it. But the main reason I started writing today was out of this gnawing little idea in my head that every character was so well drawn out here. Like when the townspeople sing they each have these very specific voices and you suddenly know exactly who that character is. It's impressive really. So the thought occurred to me, if every character was so specifically considered... then what is Lefou
to Gaston?

That idea got under my skin so much that I had to make a firm decision just for my own sanity. Lefou is Gaston's brother. He's, sadly, the boy that got all of the bad genes in the family. I mean, why else does Gaston (the strongest, most popular guy in town) spend all of his time with this little guy who can't even catch a falling, dead bird?
Cause they are related. Maybe even twins.

Gosh Disney films can be crazy. But I really enjoyed the re-watch. I suggest any diehard fan to give it a chance if you haven't already done so.

1 comment:

  1. Huh. That was bothering me, too, but I figured they were friends from childhood, and Gaston kept him around because he was such a sycophant. Your theory, though...it just makes sense. Although I'd think Lefou would be more bitter? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete