This post is for everyone who ever knew what they wanted and tried to draw out a path to reach that thing only to get diverted every-so-often by someone or something that managed to be momentarily more interesting. It's about maintaining focus and recognizing that once things have cleared the original stuff'll all still be there and the other thing... may not. There is a hope that both can coexist. Maybe they still can. Probably. As humans we all have an intense capability to multitask, put things on the back burner, and recall past experiences with full emotion. Our brains are established to maintain focus on specifics and find a version of the whole picture that fits those specifics without having a 100% assurance that this is the truth. But we always notice the Pink Elephant. It's that one thing that isn't quite right. It pulls our focus just a bit even if we don't know what we're focusing on. It's the only girl at a party wearing a costume. It's the bit of the quarrel that doesn't quite make sense because the facts have not all been given to us. If everything were laid out on the table I don't know if such moments would ever truly exist. Still I recall the time traveler in The Circus.
It's unlikely that this is what it looks like, and we've all seen it by now, but the thought that this could be a person holding a cellphone is pretty whack. So why can't people stop talking about it? Like that creepy kid from Back To The Future III.
Or the Priest in The Little Mermaid.
My Pink Elephant is nothing like these... it's a girl. The one I mentioned in the costume. But everyone gets something to rack their focus. And I'm on the outs anyway. Life is about to get really interesting.
1. Thunder Road (Cover) - Tortoise and Bonnie "Prince" Billy
2. All For Myself - Sufjan Stevens
3. The Giant Of Illinois - Andrew Bird
4. Open Sea Theme - Sven Libaek
5. Everybody Here Is A Cloud - Cloud Cult
6. Chain Of Missing Links - The Books
7. Pieces Form The Whole - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
8. Black Guitar - Blonde Redhead
9. The Seedling - Bonnie "Prince" Billy
10. I'm A Fly In A Sunbeam - The Flaming Lips
11. Occident - Joanna Newsom
12. Black Tables - Other Lives
13. Suburban War - The Arcade Fire
14. In The Ether - The Who
15. Kissing Underwater - Moonbabies
16. The Great White Ocean - Antony & The Johnsons
17. Vesuvius - Sufjan Stevens
18. On A Good Day - Joanna Newsom
19. Dancing In The Sky - Moonbabies