Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Still Don't Know How I Feel About Ares

This may seem a strange topic of conversation, but I’m a big fan of space and very interested in all things NASA. So, I wanna talk about the Ares rocket... because it’s surprising to say the least.
First things first, I am very glad that we’re going back to the moon. Finally. And that means we’re going further still, to Mars and beyond. Thank god for that. But the way we’re getting there is odd. And while I’m all for “stepping back to step forward” as my latest short story implies, I just didn’t expect it from NASA.
Look at this:
It’s the Ares. It is how we intend to go to the moon. And it’s not a Shuttle
It doesn’t feel like it could someday bus people back and forth between worlds. 
It’s reminiscent of the Apollo
I suppose that’s understandable. The successes of the past inform the successes of the future. We cannot help but stand on the shoulders of those who came before us...
But couldn’t we have built a new form of Shuttle that left some extra room for a Lunar Pod? Maybe I just think that’d be cooler from a Sci-Fi perspective. Or maybe there’s more to come and maybe this was the cheapest way to just get us back up there again?
I want to live in 2001: a space odyssey. Hopefully we’ll reach that level of technology some day soon... you think these missions will lead to a new Lunar Colony? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment